Home is the place where you come back from work and relax. Where you feel safe and secure. We spend a lot of time at home and for this reason, we want to enjoy a healthy environment. Unfortunately, things like air pollution or inappropriate humidity levels can be a real danger to hour health. Especially for kids, who are more sensitive. Carrying for the well-being of ourselves and our beloved ones is in our nature and we should start by becoming more alert and focused on the factors that can do us harm at home. For this reason, we will bring to your attention some of the enemies you definitely don’t want in your house. And we will also provide real solutions.
- Fact: Excessive moisture in your home can be a real problem. A humidity level above 60% will make you feel less comfortable and it can really affect your health. This is because a humid environment is prone to microorganisms’ growth. As a result, indoor mold, dust mites, or bacteria can easily appear and you may start to develop various symptoms. Among the most common ones are allergies, asthma, respiratory problems, itchy eyes, and so on. Moisture is produced when cooking, bathing, or even exercising. It can also enter from the soil and this is why basements are the areas of the house where mold often grows.
- Solution: Prevention is the best solution, so you should always measure humidity. You need a hygrometer to know the exact moisture level in your house. You can buy a separate one for your basement. Also, a good way of prevention is to properly ventilate the house, especially the basement, but also the kitchen and the bathroom. You can use an air conditioner or fans. In case the moisture is already installed, you can get a dehumidifier. There are all sorts of types, including for the basement. A dehumidifier specially designed for the basement can handle colder temperatures and operates more efficiently. It also comes with larger water tanks or with a water hose for drainage.
- Fact: Besides the fact that they are ugly, house pets can also be dangerous. Cockroaches, termites, ants, or bed bugs are only a few of the household pests. They carry all sorts of diseases, including E. coli or salmonella, affecting your health in the long-term. At the same time, they can trigger allergies or infections. Bites from pests are also dangerous as they can lead to serious health complications, especially if you are an allergic person.
- Solution: An efficient solution is to seal the food properly as well as the possible entrances like gaps in the walls. Also, clean the house regularly to get rid of food crumbles. In case you detect pests buy pesticides as they will help you get rid of the ”uninvited guests”. Nevertheless, be careful what you buy as many pesticides contain dangerous chemicals that may also affect your health.
- Fact: Air pollution is one of the most serious problems we currently confront with. While the main outdoor pollutants are the ground level ozone, particulate matter, or nitrogen and sulfur dioxide, the main indoor pollutants are volatile organic compounds, indoor particulate matter, or carbon monoxide. Of course, there are many other air pollutants that put our health at a high risk. Indoor air pollutants can cause both short-term effects like coughing, fatigue, or headaches or long-term effects like respiratory diseases, hearing loss, or even cancer.
- Solution: You can improve the quality of the air in your house by doing simple things like vacuuming the house regularly, replacing the AC filters, avoiding VOC paints, and so on. You can also purify the air in a natural way with the help of the plants. The most efficient ones for cleaning the air are Philodendrons, Chinese evergreen, Golden pothos, and so on. Additionally, you can opt for an air purifier. It does a nice job of removing air pollutants, including cigarette smoke. A good purifier has HEPA filters as they are capable of trapping up to 99.9% of small particles like pollen, mold, or pet dander. However, make sure you change the filters regularly otherwise the indoor air quality may worsen.
Home can become an unhealthy environment without even knowing it. We’ve only presented a few of the major factors that can affect the comfort of your home. No matter if we are talking about high humidity levels or polluted indoor air, you can be exposed to serious health risks if you don’t take the necessary measures for eliminating them. And always remember that health is wealth.